conference pdOneDesk, an industry leader in social product development, is proud to be a sponsor of the 35th Product Innovation Management Annual Global Conference organized by The Product Development and Management Association (PDMA).

About the PDMA

The PDMA is the premier global advocate for product development, management and innovation professionals. Founded in 1976, PDMA has more than 3,000 members in over 50 countries, making it the largest product development association in the world.

About this event

This will mark the conferences’ 35th year. It’s main focus will be to deliver the best content and knowledge related to product and service development practice and process. In addition, this conference provides all attendees with the opportunity to network and exchange ideas with like-minded product practitioners.

Interested in participating? More information about this event can be found here: 35th Product Innovation Management Annual Global Conference

We would like to thank the PDMA team for giving us the opportunity to sponsor this event.

One Response to “OneDesk sponsors the PDMA’s 35th Product Innovation Management Conference”

1. Scott says:

Congrats to my friends and PM colleagues Rich, Scott & Geoffrey. I look forward to learning more about the other folks.

FYI it is Mironov http://www.mironov.com/

2. Keep up the great questions/answers on Quora, Geoff! Do you have any other product people you would like to add to the list?

Best,

Catherine

3. Thanks for sharing, Geoff!

You are right- there are definitely many great posts that are valuable for different reasons! Hope you have a great 2013.

Best,

Catherine

4. Way too many great posts from the Cranky one. But the one on the sales droid brain is the one I remember vividly.

5. Dan says:

I agree with Alan, but with more footnotes.

I think the point the article/stripe are missing, is that the need for dedicated Product Management is dependent upon manner factors, not least number of engineers, number of customers and skill set of current employees.

As I’ve heard many product managers say – ‘Whether or not you have Product Managers, someone’s doing Product Management’. As the article says “The founders or (head honchos) of Stripe, all have extensive experience managing products”. So, in this case, despite not having the title, it would seem that the founders are somewhat filling this role.

To answer the articles title, ‘do we need product managers?’ The answer is yes. The question you have to ask your company is do you need them as a dedicated function.

I do believe that some product managers can be blind to the capabilities of other people in their company. Depending on the skills of the people on the team, it is more than possible to be successful without a dedicated position. You don’t need a dedicated person to ‘listen to the market’, but you do need domain experts of that market on your team.

There can be benefits that dedicated positions can bring. Once you team starts getting too big, it gets harder to have a coordinated strategy if everyone gets to innovate how they see best. Yes, people such as Founders can help with that, but at a certain point the people running the business need to ‘work on the business, not in the business’. At this point, they will need to delegate the responsibility of resolving divergent opinions and coordinating product direction. Hmm, that sounds like a familiar position…

6. Great point, Alan. Still, it will be interesting to see how long they will be able to sustain this.

Thanks for your insights!

Catherine

7. Alan Klement says:

1. Stripe is a very small startup.
    2. Stripe is just getting started.
    2. Stripe’s product is just an API for developers to use. There’s actually no GUI – at all.

Let’s come back to Stripe when they have 10,000+ customers, any kind of GUI and is at least 1 year old.

8. Hi Cat – Good article. Parents should be applauded for supporting their children in this way, because very few children will follow through on these important feedback issues without encouragement. Have you thought of reaching out to local parenting associations/publications with this message? Also, the investigative reporter in me still wants to know why Hasbro created the gender bias; I guess the mother is equally frustrated. This touches on using “high-brow” language when dealing with consumers, too. A lot of great points made. I suspect most marketers need re-educating on the value of effective customer communications. The Internet has changed everything.

9. Katie Parvin says:

I completely agree. You have to have the right tools in order to be successful. I’ve seen so many businesses struggle, even though they have a great product, but they aren’t equipped with the proper tools necessary to succeed.
    Thanks for the post!

10. Thanks, Peter. Spoken like a truly passionate product manager. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts on Quora and Twitter.

Cheers,

Catherine

11. Very thoughtful post. There are so many challenges with the Product Management discipline that it’s difficult to pick the most difficult stage of software development. That being said, I would not want to be working in any other role.

12. Andrea Lucas says:

This seems like a great idea for your business. Whether you’re in your office or on the road, it seemed this service may help you keep up-to-date on meetings and tasks. Good post.

13. […] OneDesk’s Blog reveals that the most important factor is to know your customer’s needs and understand how they prefer to communicate. You need to have a system that track customer behavior and through close collaboration between employees and customers, be able to sufficiently and effectively comply with the customer’s needs. The right customer service technology should be able to grant access to past customer interactions and map communication channels so that customers easily find answers to their questions. […]

14. […] in this as well. The two I am familar with are Planisware (http://www.planisware.com/) and Onedesk (http://www.onedesk.com/product-t…). Both seem promising when fully adopted. I would love to hear people's experience with either […]

15. […] information? Your customers have ideas and they want to be heard. In the OneDesk article “Innovation and Product Development Tips,” by Catherine Constantinides, Constantinides writes: The social customer is here to stay, […]

16. […] OneDesk sponsors the PDMA’s 35th Product Innovation Management Conference | OneDesk OneDesk, an industry leader in social product development, is proud to be a sponsor of the 35th Product Innovation Management Annual Global Conference organized… Source: http://www.onedesk.com […]

17. […] The development process and some scary facts | OneDesk We thought we would talk about some of the scary things companies are doing when approaching their product or service development process. Source: http://www.onedesk.com […]

18. […] Co-working and how it stimulates innovation | OneDesk Co-working allows a global community of people to employ the values of collaboration, co-creation, community, openness and accessibility. Source: http://www.onedesk.com […]

19. Hi Aly,

Yes, crmoutsiders.com is indeed a great site. Thanks for sharing this with our readers.

Best,

Catherine

20. Aly says:

Hey Catherine and Chris – Another great blog is crmoutsiders.com. It’s not strictly Social but write frequently and have great insights into the industry.

All the best – Aly

21. […] Collaboration suite: Connects every role | OneDesk A collaboration suite is software that provides businesses with a set of applications, all integrated with a layer of online collaboration tools. Source: http://www.onedesk.com […]

22. Thanks for your suggestion, Chris.

Best,

Catherine

23. Chris Butler says:

Also lots of Social CRM stuff on our blog at wecando.biz.posterous.com

Regards

Chris Butler
    CEO
    WeCanDo.Biz

24. You are most welcome, Aly. Social CRM has been a hot topic and it is important to provide relevant and timely information to our readers. Paul Greenberg’s blog is definitely an excellent source for all things Social CRM, and its impact on the Enterprise.

Do you recommend any other Social CRM blogs?

Best,

Catherine

25. Aly says:

Hi Catherine – Thanks for sharing the blog list! As a CRM supplier and consultant in Texas, I like to keep up with the latest goings-on in the industry. I already read Paul Greenberg’s blog which is full of great information but the others are new to me, so I’ll definitely me checking them out!

All the best – Aly

26. Kimberley Chan says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Aaron! That’s right, engaging with your community can be a lot of fun. It’s also one of the best ways to learn about your brand, products, industry and even competitors. We sure would like to see more people following the 80/20 rule.

27. Aaron Eden says:

I’m with you both when it comes to social media automation – where one must do it responsibly. In a good way, social media automation can save you time from the non-productive work of posting news on your niche that your peers may find interesting – so you can use that time saved in focusing on real conversations with them instead. If you ask me, I took Pareto’s principle into a whole new approach, where I’m following the 80/20 rule of social media marketing: as in 80% conversation and 20% automation. I guess, everything’s a chain reaction of events– and social media automation tools can help alleviate the woes of social media fatigue. Besides, the point of getting social online is to engage and have fun doing so, isn’t it?

28. Kimberley Chan says:

Hi George,
    That’s a very good question, very thought-provoking. Thank you for bringing it up! I do not know the what kinds of studies there have been on the subject, but I am curious to find out. Let’s keep each other updated on our findings.

I also encourage all our readers to provide information on this subject.

29. george says:

I was wondering if there have been studies that quantify the value of customization. From a very real example, we know that you can purchase a plain T shirt for under $5 retail or you can pay $20 for a similar T shirt that has a Nike Logo on it. For some people, the Nike Logo may be worth more than an image they create themselves. Different product categories will enjoy different premiums for different reasons. I was wondering if anyone has ever studied this and if there is any information available on the findings. Thanks for your help.

30. Kimberley Chan says:

Hi Jim,
    Thank you for letting me know about your blog. I took a look at it and I think our readers can learn a few things from you. As you can see, I have added your blog to my list.
    Thanks!
    Kim

31. Jim Holland says:

Feel free to add my blog to your list. I focus on building product management best practices while using 20 years of B2B product management and product marketing experience

32. Your discussion about 360 degree feedback has great importance in these days. Because the most people seeking for selection right channel and for business feedback. As you mentioned in your article 360 degree feedback understand all sides of business and 360 evaluations. Every business management wants to get desired feedback, which is only possible through 360 degree feedback & 360 evaluations.

33. Kim says:

Hi Lorie,
    Thanks for dropping by. The social web definitely plays its part in revolutionizing business communication and more companies are transforming in to a “social business.” However, transformation is never easy. Do you have any advice for companies who wish to make a smooth transition into Collaboration 2.0?

34. Lorie Vela says:

Hi Kim, a pleasure being here.

I think it is really time now to dig, as you very well point out, deeper into collaboration strategies; the social media and the web 2.0 are not only a revolution for human interaction and communication, but a new way to see our world, and of course, its business implications make us reflects about enterprise models. As Social Media are now to human, Collaboration is to enterprise and Business.

Thanks again for your mention and quote

Lorie Vela

35. Kim says:

Thanks for your comment. I agree, there is so much more we can say about 360 degree feedback. We do plan on elaborating more on it in future blog posts; stay tuned and feel free to let us know what you would like to read about.

36. 360 degree feedback is known as multi functional feedback.
    You post a nice article but we can write more here. You describe only the definition of 360 degree feedback, You can also describe the little bit more on 360 degree feedback services, Evaluations, Importance of 360 degree feedback, and much more.

37. kalpana says:

This gives the good information about 360 Degree Feedback.360 Feedback is a good HR Software. i got one company from Google Search “CEO Info Tech”.They are providing the best HR Software Products.

38. Kim says:

Glad you enjoyed this post, Shep. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and keep up the great blogging.

39. Shep Hyken says:

Great article and I’m flattered that you included me as part of it. At the root of the modern customer service strategies are the basics. It’s common sense, that unfortunately, isn’t always so common. Thank you again for a great article.
    Shep Hyken, author of “The Amazement Revolution.”

40. Catherine says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comment.

Yes, I have seen examples of such incentive programs and I can definitely recognize their value. However, this type of interaction may be too transactional in nature and may not provide the opportunity to collect valuable insight. I think organizations need to move beyond the website “feedback form” and explore other channels of communication to capture feedback and engage with their customers.

Keep an eye on for more development in this area.

Catherine

41. Chris says:

Interesting blog post, all your writing got me thinking about the future of our “social product development.” While our product is transitioning between “technology” and “product” I am looking at software for gathering feedback for the near future. There is one question on my mind, and you can email me or write a post about it: “How do I incentivise customers to provide feedback?” Sure I know that some customers will provide feedback out of passion for the product, and that is great. What about the rest? Have you seen cases of: points & game mechanics, contests, coupons, future discounts, or other “rewards” to solicit feedback and thus entice client (feedback provider) adoption.

42. jodie_microsoft_smb says:

One option to look at as an existing CRM tool for integration is Microsoft CRM. It’s available as on-premise and online solution and integrates with Outlook, Word, Excel and other applications via 3rd party apps. The interface is similar to Outlook so users may ramp up more quickly and there are resources for self-assist training and support. This link will give you more details: http://smb.ms/OutreachfDvU57

Regards,